Before going away on a sewing break I created a tutorial for an off-shoulder dress. Make a statement by drafting and sewing together your own off-shoulder dress with the added glamour of the ruffles sleeves. I show you how to draft the pattern and the way to construct your dress.
In this project, I used a scuba knit fabric, which meant when it came to adding ease, I had to use negative ease instead of positive ease so that the garment could stretch around my body. For your hip measurement, depending on the fabric you choose to use you may need to add positive or negative ease.
- For non-stretch fabric: Add 2 inches to your hip circumference and divide that by 4
- For stretchy fabric: Multiply your hip circumference by 0.9 and divide that by 4
Pattern Drafting Tutorial – Off-Shoulder/Bardot Dress with Ruffle Sleeves
Seam Allowance and Cutting Instructions:
- Centre front piece: Add seam allowance everywhere except on the centre front and cut on the fold of your fabric
- Side front piece: Add seam allowance everywhere and cut 2 from your fabric
- Back piece: Add seam allowance everywhere except on the centre back and cut on the fold of your fabric or if you are adding a fastening, add seam allowance everywhere and cut 2 from your fabric