If any of you follow my YouTube vlogs or even my instagram, you’d know that I’ve dabbled a bit in the art of bra making. To keep you up to speed with what I’ve made so far, I’ve included the video of me introducing the world to my very badly made boob coverers at the bottom of this post.
So, yesterday while I was taking pictures of my uber-kawaii pinafore dress, I decided to do a little bra photoshoot too, because I’m tired of using the same old green-cutting-mat background. I gathered up some leaves while my bras struck poses of perfection atop them.
While the idea was unique, to say the least, I’m not sure it worked. My bra sort of looks slightly uncomfortable, like it has one too many leaves poking it up the backside and nobody wants to be photographed like that, so here it is looking all refined and sophisticated like:
Yes, I know, back to the same old green-cutting-mat background, but look at her!
My New Bra Draft
This week is bra making week for me, so I’m hoping to have a brand new, perfect fitting bra by Friday. I’ve already drafted a new design, which looks so cool!
In the past, I’ve had problems with massive gaping at the neckline and armhole, so I made sure this time to reduce the length of both. I think in doing so, I involuntarily lost some volume in the cups. Boo.
Before I ever cut into my good fabric, I always do a test run to ensure that the cup is shaped well and fits my boobies. I printed out my drafted pattern and cut out one of each piece.
And of course, once everything was stitched together, I pressed my seams. Here, I’m using the tailor’s ham that I made, and I do have a free pattern available for download if you’d like to make one for yourself too. They’re really useful for pressing bra seams as they allow you to curve the cups into shape with your iron.
Once pressed, I decided to baste the bottom seam allowance inwards and insert an underwire so that I could gauge what the cup would look once properly made. The shape of the cup was somewhat rounded, which is always a good thing – so, so far so good.
It didn’t fit.
It ended up being way too small, so I’ll have to redraft the cup and try again. I’m hoping my next bra making post would be about how amazingly well everything turned out. But, until then…
Thanks for reading! Feel free to share and comment – I’d love to hear what you think about my green bra.